This script will duplicate a selected object or objects, and automatically move them to
a second specified target object's vertices. It is based on the idea of the "dupliverts" tool
in Blender 3D, though no code was taken from that program. Also, instead of just creating
instances of the object like Blender does, this script actually creates and groups an
entire set of duplicated objects!
Tested on Windows XP and Mac OSX 10.5, but hopefully should work fine on other versions as well as Linux.
- version 0.4.7 fixes the "invalid column width" error which some users were experiencing in newer versions of Maya.
- ability for multiple "child" objects per parent object
- support for randomization of scale, rotation, and translation (including ability to limit
randomization of certain translation axies)
- ability to specify percent coverage of duplication onto "parent" object's vertices
- ability to align specified axies of child object to "parent" object's normals
- ability to name output objects and group
- poly or nurbs objects can be duplicated
- Select object to be duplicated (poly or nurbs). If more than one, the script will
randomly assign a different on to each vertex.
- Select the target object LAST (MUST be poly object)
- Run the script, specify desired values, and hit "Dupliverts"
- All objects should have the same origin point to work correctly
Thanks to Andrew Martin for help on getting some of the coding issues worked out for a
beginning MEL script writer; also, thanks to Malcolm Kesson for his great explanation
of aligning axies to a vector, which you can find at https://www.fundza.com/mel/axis_to_vector/align_axis_to_vector.html.
Also, sorry for the poor coding protocol; I'm pretty new to this stuff and I'm sure
some of it is not written the best. As always, feel free to e-mail me suggestions or bug reports
at firstname.lastname@example.org or on my blog at https://nelsonjesse.blogspot.com.
I am NOT liable for any damage this script may cause to your computer or files, including crashing
Maya, erasing saved files, etc. However, it has worked fine for me so for. :)
Please use the Feature Requests to give me ideas.
Please use the Support Forum if you have any questions or problems.
Please rate and review in the Review section.