f_ref is a simple script that allow an easy image reference in viewport.
In addiction to the classic imageplane function for standard and custom cameras, there is an option to create a plane with texture image with correct aspect ratio.
How to use:
1) extract the 2 files (1 script and 1 icons).
2) place the script in the maya script folder (C:\Users\...\Documents\maya2011-x64\scripts)
3) place the icon in maya icons folder (C:\Users\...\Documents\maya2011-x64\prefs\icons)
4) run maya and call the mel funcion "f_ref"
5) (optional) drag the "f_ref" in your preferite shelf and assign the icon image with the shelf editor
TOP, FRONT, SIDE, PERSP
click on this buttons to load the corresponding imagePlanes
if a custom camera is present in the scene, this button is activated and allow to load the imagePlane on the selected custom camera
this function create a poly plane with corrected size regarding the image proportion
- normalize size - normalize the plane image with the grid size
- filter - enable a default filtering on the texture image
if you select the created plane, in the channelbox there are two attributes "resolution and "filter"; these parameters are needed for better viewport performance
plane material is neutral so that scene lights can't compromise the texture quality
Tested on maya 2011 2012 for windows, don't know about mac and linux.
Let me know about bugs or ideas for any kind of improvement! :-)