LocOnLoc or LOL (Shelf Name) is a short for Locator On Location.
If you run the script, a window opens where you can create locator at the world space position of each selected object that has a transform node, even vertices, lights... - everything you can move around.
The locator is created as Locator_* (name of the selected object).
It has the translation, rotation, scale and rotation order (if exists) of the selected node.
Just select a bunch of stuff and create locators on it.
If you check "Bake Animation to Locators", the animation of the selection is baked to the locator for your timerange.
I wrote it as a tool for matchmoving, for example to have a locator on the edge of a building to move the camera around, but there are a lot of other cases where it might be handy.
See Version History for recently added features and improvements.
Simple way to start LocOnLoc:
1. Drag & Dropt LocOnLoc.mel into your Maya Viewport
1. Put LocOnLoc.mel in your script folder. You can find it with: internalVar -userScriptDir;
2. Refresh your Maya script folder with: rehash;
1. Select something that can be transformed. Multiple selections of diffrent kinds possible.
2. Adjust Timerange.
3. Start the script with: source "LocOnLoc.mel";