to duplicate or instantiate one or many objects in different ways.
How to have it on your shelf:
I chose the easiest way (imo) for anyone to get it from Downloads to the Shelf:
- Download the file
- Open your script editor
- Enter an empty python tab or create one (Command -> New Tab or CTRL + T or drag rightclick from script editor -> New Tab,
- Load SG_DuplicateInstantiate_Tool.py script (First icon to the left: Load Script or File -> Load Script or CTRL + O)
- Save the script to your shelf (Fourth icon from the left "Save script to shelf" or select all the code and drag it to the shelf)
How to make it work:
- declare one or more source objects (Right side of the window)
- set the duplicating/instancing options at your needs (Left side of the window)
- select the object/s or object component/s specified in the tool options
- click Apply or Apply and Close
as you might have selected the wrong node before clicking Apply.
If the new objects seem to be misspositioned, consider not freezing the source objects' transformations
and having them be direct children of maya world (SHIFT + P) before clicking Apply.
Note on particle instancer:
right after using the particle instancer option,
you might notice the first source object of the list
duplicated far more times than the others
in that case, restart the particle simulation (after apply)
in order for all the source objects to be instantiated correctly by the particle instancer
If you have troubles with this tool,
or find any bug,
or have any suggestion or request,
you are welcome to write in the Reviews section
or to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to use this script or bits and pieces of it's code as you please,
and to mention me if you'd like to do so.